Thursday, March 20, 2014

The lost road nostalgia

 

One day browsing the net I came upon this Let's Knit magazine called Nostalgic Crochet. What draw me to it was this picture showing these gorgeous coin purses in a specific pattern. Actually it was the pattern that captured my attention. 
My grandma called it "The Lost Road".  It was one of her most favourite patterns. When I was just a little girl, whenever we had it on the table, tracing the whirling pattern, I couldn't help but imagine a dirt road winding deep into green woods and wondered how could a road lose itself. It's a fond memory of mine.    


 The lost road... 
Grandma made me a tablecloth and doilies to accompany it.
The round doily (in the center of the collage below) is actually a sampler from my hub's grandma. Apparently she liked it too.


I proud myself of being able to "decipher" a pattern just by looking at it (same as grandma) but this is a tough one.
I know I have this pattern somewhere and when I find it I'll post it here.

18 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

I wish I could crochet. Love this pattern and your family story behind it.

homemade@myplace said...

I know that Japanese crochet book!!! I was tempted to buy it last week when I was browsing the crochet section in Kinokuniya bookstore….!!!!!
Like the crochet story you told us today!!!!!
xxxxx Ale

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Donna!

Maya Kuzman said...

Doesn't it look tempting? :)

Divya N said...

I know nothing about crochet patterns but the little purses are adorable

Eska said...

I've never seen that before but it's now my new favorite. It's a beautiful pattern.

Linda said...

What a beautiful family story behind the crochet, thanks for sharing, I loved it.
The coin purses are amazing, I would love to be the proud owner of one :-)

Katherine said...

Such a beautiful pattern, Maya. Wow. I don't think I've seen it before but now I want to try it.

Your grandmother's work is amazing and how lucky you are to have these pieces made especially for you.

Unknown said...

Now I can see where you get your talent from Maya ;-) it's running in your family veins! Such intricate looking patterns, I know you can do these! Love these small purses, they're exquisite!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Anna said...

Superbes !
Anna

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Such a beautiful tablecloth and history. I am in the process of photographing our family tablecloths for a family reunion. I hope tact the attendees will remember the stories.
Those coin purses are darling!!

Randee Erickson said...

Love your story and the pattern. I would kill for those coin purses!

Charlotte said...

Oh, what beautiful little coin purses and doilies! I would love to have the pattern for all! Hope you can find it!

onhazier said...

Here's a picture of the spiral with a chart. Hope this helps in your search. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d7/bf/30/d7bf30d27d230309b9cf85334464bd88.jpg

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so, so much for sharing this. I am much obliged!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh wow! That is gorgeous! :)

Jodi Wade said...

That pattern is gorgeous. I wish my crocheting skills were better.

Knitaly said...

I found your blog following the coin purse path on the web. This lost road leads to you! Thank you for the story, I love it!